SMF: Legendary League Game




   I played a game with the Legendary League a few weeks ago (Weeks? Wow, time is flying!).  I am in the process of writing up a proper battle report, but I am doing it in an old school comic format.  It’s fun, and coming along nicely, it’s just more time consuming than I realized it would be.

   So while I’m slowly working on that, I thought I would put up a brief version of it, just highlights instead of the full report.  More of a “Game Report” really, rather than a report from the narrative perspective.
    I used the exceptional Super Mission Force rules to play out the game.  The rules were played straight, though I had to bend some of the character creation to give the League members the right powers.  I tried to use them as is for as much as I could, but some things had to be done that were “illegal” in the build rules.  I tried to balance them out, (Barnstormer has one more minor power than the rules allow, but he’s a Metamorph that can only change into one thing instead of the normal three for example) and I think they came out as just fine.


    I set up the terrain as a generic battle.  There's no objective here, just "beat the other guys". I set up a few of the German "Henchmen groups", and deployed the rest of the German forces as hidden markers. Not hidden as in I don't know where they are, but hidden as in I don't know which marker represents what sort of forces.  The League is on the right side up there, behind the trees.


    Each of those markers has a card written on the underside, and those correspond to the forces sitting on the cards.  So when a League member gets within Line of Sight, and within 10", the marker is revealed and the forces deployed.  There are also 2 dummy markers that have no forces associated.


    The League won initiative, so Redball raced out with the simple intention of revealing as many markers as he could so the League would at least know what they were facing.  He revealed three, two real and one that turned out to be nothing.
    The rest of the League moved out as best they could.  Justice flew off on his own, landing in the woods to reveal another marker, Turned out to be a tank!
    Kingsman flew off, carrying Nom de Gurre.  Barnstormer carried Dogface forward, and Devil Dodger teleported in to the action.


    Justice took a nasty hit from the tank cannon, Kingsman erected a barrier to prevent further shots.  Nom ended up taking on an armored halftrack (Sd.Kfz 251), and got smashed into a tree for his effort.

I've been sent to warn you, the devil's right beside you...
    Devil Dodger teleported right here, into the middle of a German unit.  The most dramatic thing ever! Then his strike caused only one wound...oh well, still an awesome entrance!

    Barnstormer dove in, guns chattering but to little effect on the Germans, then zoomed on past.  He also dropped off Dogface to confront the men on the ground.

It's just one American, this will be easy!

Gah! Not easy! Not easy!
    Dogface took a lot of hits from the German unit after landing, then he "Got Fuzzy".  Changing into his werewolf form he charged in to the unit.  Like Dodger, his initial attack was less than stellar, but man, what an entrance!

Redball takes off, hitting then running on...

...eventually ending here where he helps out Devil Dodger.
    For a while the Heroes were doing precious little damage, and taking in quite a bit of it.  Justice, Dogface, and Nom de Gurre were right on the verge of being KO'd by this point.


   But then things suddenly changed,and the dice were now on the side of the Good Guys!
RadGuy vaporized a German squad by dealing 11 Hits to only 7 figures. They blocked none.


    Dogface tore into the Germans, like RadGuy he did damage beyond anything reasonable and just obliterated them.


 Kingsman, Barnstormer, and eventually Nom de Gurre dealt with these two units of Germans in relatively short order.

I can't decide if these guys are brave, or just foolish.

    Justice and Dogface together manage to KO the tank, then Redball runs out to take on another squad, doing nothing.  Kingsman Charges into them, and boom! wipes out the whole unit!  When the dice aren't cursed, these guys are pretty good.


    There's more fighting back and forth, but eventually RadGuy gets tired of hit.  Flying to the bunker that's been irritating him for a bit, he fires an exploding blast right through the front door. The blast blows through the bunker, taking out all but one of the Germans inside.
    After this the three remaining Germans on the table chose to surrender.  Can't blame them really.

   At the end all the heroes were still upright, though a few of them just barely, and the Germans were all defeated or fled.  I really had a great time with this game.  It played perfectly, as SMF always does, and gave the feeling of playing through a Golden Age comic story. 
   This was really just to see how it worked, and to have fun "pushing lead around the table" (they're all plastic, but you know).
    I'll be playing more of this for sure.  I'll add in in objectives, since I prefer games with objectives.  And I need to add in some Super Germans of some sort.  That's going to take a bit, I really don't have much in the way of 1/72 scale figures other than WW2 or ACW. 

    All in all, I really enjoyed this.  I love the SMF rules, they're just perfect for Super games, and WW2 super games are no exception.

I'm going to keep working on the comic battle report, but this is good for now.



Comments