The Biggest Place

    A long term, slow burn, project I've been working on for some time is what I'm calling "The Biggest Place".  

    It's a line from a Kenney Rogers song called Planet Texas. Cool song.  In it the guys come from "the biggest place in outer space, a planet known as Texas..."

    The project is an anything goes, pulp sci-fi western. Robots? Yup. Airships? Sure. Aliens, dinosaurs, natives, walking wagons? Of course.  And obviously, everything is better if they're wearing cowboy hats!
    It's pulpy sci-fi goofy fun, and I love it!

    I've been thinking about it and collecting stuff that would work for it for years.  I eventually had enough that I started it and made some progress.
    Here are some pictures of some things I finished.  I need to take better photos, showing figures and such in better detail, but for now this is what I have.  It shows the theme anyway.


    Western town layouts, but with modern elements!  Those signs are actual EL Wire and glow nicely. They can even flash, but that gets really annoying, so I don't do that. 
    That's a Robot Horse in front of the Sheriff office. Two of the local lawmen, the blue and white guy and the turtle thing, square off against a robot outlaw in a serape and cowboy hat!
    Yes, the building in the back says "Guns and Soup" on it.


    Because they sell guns. And soup. Duh.


    The Bank has it's own EL sign, and an illuminated $ on top from underlit neon acrylic rod.
You can also see the legged walking wagon parked there.


    A different view of the Sheriff office, showing the outdoor cell. Some stuff these guys arrest ain't gonna fit inside the office.
    There's another robot horse there too.


    And s slightly different view. This time you can see the massive wheeled wagon with a cockpit parked there.


    One of the towns deputies, Galaxy Turtle.  My daughter called him that, so I of course had to paint him that way.  The "shell" has a nice starfield and nebulas on it.  It looks better in person than on the camera.



    A couple of Town shots.


An airship flies overhead.

Like I said, it's a slow project, but I've made some good progress.  I'll keep at it and post more when I have more, or when I get around to an actual game even!



Comments