Table Surface

   Some time ago I built a gaming table for my use, it's 6' x 4' with three 2' x 4' panels as the top surface.
   The idea there was that they could be reversible, even interchangeable.  I didn't do much with that that then, opting for a greenish side and an unfinished side to the panels.
  Since then, i found that the greenish wasn't what I really wanted, and the unfinished was useful as a "this is not part of the game" section, but nothing else.
   So I decided it was time to repaint them to be more useful.
Also, I did a number on them while building the Rage Track terrain boards, so they needed to be sanded and refinished anyway.

Ultimately I decided that a "grass" side would be useful since it's the surface the majority of games are played on.  While I do have a nice model railroad grass mat, a green surface will allow me to just plonk stuff down and play more often.
  The surface is painted with a "sample size" paint from Home Depot.  I chose eggshell sheen for the durability, so it cost $5.  Still, I have a little over half a jar left, so that's a good deal.
  I then sponge painted on a second Sample color, (Flat this time so only $3), and a few greens from my regular craft paints.


  For the second side, I decided on water.  It's useful as water itself, or I can flip only one panel and have a shoreline, etc.  Also, water is flat, so there's no worry on texture.
   This one I painted with simple spray paints.  The contrast in colors isn't quite as stark in real life as it is in the photos here.


  Here's a boat and a pirate I tossed up just to show that is looks pretty good.  Like water anyway.

And here's the same ship with one of the florescent light diffusion panels laid on it.  I like that effect too, but it's different.  I like it for this ships scale, while smaller scale stuff looks better without it to me.

So there we go, the table is finally set to be useful.
Ten years or so later...but still.

Comments